- Practising of operating in already constructed sites and bridging new proposals with the rehabilitation of existing buildings, in terms of volume and function
- Realization of the connection to the proximal space and framing in the studied context
- Raising awareness of the students towards a rational perception of the existing urban system
- Practising the formative values of the INTEGRATED design system, between architecture, urban planning and technical sciences
- Developing the ability of identifying and mastering the complexity of the parameters that influence the design process
- The deepening of the sustainable development concept regarding the environmental and ecology issues
- The investigation of the possibilities to operate in sites with personality, in ancient sites, affected by interventions in time, or in deconstructed sites
- The study of the impact created by the appearance of a new function in an existing urban context.
Field of Study – CONVERSION - EXTEND, REHABILITATION, SUSTENABILITY
A. guided project
Project with a theme developed by the department.
Theme: architectural insertion in a protected area
B. lectures on the theory of the project
As part of the design studio activity, tutors will deliver theoretical lectures with topics according to current architectural project: site analysis - information processing and interpretation; the personality of a site – examples, characteristics, specific areas, developing conditions, history - the students' proposals - discussing and justifying options; conditioning and specificity of protected areas; densification and enhancement in architecture; mutations - changes in personality.
The lectures will be delivered both for the design studio group and for the students of the entire year of study.
Checking each student's project, comments on the project in which the entire group takes part, theoretical lectures, site visits, case analyses.
Project workbook, individual overview of the project, the design studio jury will give a grade.
Mies van der rohe award 2005 - european union prize for contemporary architecture, actar , barcelona, 2005
Mies van der rohe award 2007 - european union prize for contemporary architecture, actar , barcelona, 2007
The riba awards 2005 - architecture 05 the guide to the riba awards, merrel publishers limited, london, 2005 (+royal institute of british architects + riba trust)
The riba awards 2006 - architecture 06 the guide to the riba awards, merrel publishers limited, london, 2006 (+royal institute of british architects + riba trust)the riba awards 2007 - architecture 07 the guide to the riba awards, merrel publishers limited, london, 2007 (+royal institute of british architects + riba trust)
ZEIDLER, Ebergard - "Multi-Use Architecture in the Urban Context", Van Nostrand reinhold, Ny 1995
LEACH, Neil - ”Rethinking Architecture”, Ed. Routledge, Londra,1997
LEACH, Neil - ”Camouflage”, MIT Press, Cambridge,2006
AYNRONINO, Aldo + MOSCO, Valerio Paolo - ”Contemporary Public Space, Un – volumetric Architecte” – Skira,2006
EISENMAN, Peter -”Blurred Zones – Investigations of the Interstitial”, The Monacelli Press, New – York, 2003
DE SOLA–MORALES, Ignasi -”Differences, Topographies of Contemporary Architecture”, MIT Press, Cambridge Mass,1997
JENCKS, Charles - "The language of post-modern architecture", Ed.academy Editions, Londra, 1997
BRUNETTE, Peter , WILLS, David - "Deconstruction and The Visual Arts/ art, media architecture", Ed. Cambridge University Press, 1994
FRAMPTON, Jenneth - "Modern architecture: a critical history", Ed.Thames&Hudson LTD, London, 1992
MEISS, Pierre von - "De la forme au lieu, de la cave au toit"
OMA,KOOLHAAS, Rem - "S, M, L, XL"
NORBERG-SCHULTZ, Christian - "Genius Loci"
TSCHUMI, Bernard - "The state of architecture at the beginning of the 21st century",The Monacelli Press, 2003
IOAN, Augustin - "O noua estetica a reconstructiei", Paideia-Simetria, Bucuresti, 2002