- Course Leader:
- conf.dr.arh. Melania Dulămea
- Teaching Staff:
- Teaching language:
- Learning outcomes:
- [architectural representation]
• use, development and improvement of architectural representation tools, including complex models;
• comparative investigation between different representation techniques and choosing an appropriate way for the purpose of the exercise;
• deepening the use of architectural detail in plan, section and elevation to represent the material, structure and their spatial implications;
• discovering and using the situation plan as a way of representing the context; exploring different graphical scales as representations of different contexts.
[analytical and critical]
• understanding and operating with the notions of place and context;
• understanding the relationships established between place, context and the existing and projected space (interior and exterior);
• developing the ability to identify the characteristics, qualities, potential of a given building / ensemble, to analyze and synthesize them;
• exploring and clarifying the notion of housing and its spatial implications.
• training and development of the abilities to associate the constructive-structural systems and of their specific characteristics and qualities to some architectural intentions;
• deepening the understanding of and operating with the basic elements of space production (window and staircase) including in their constructive and structural sense;
• understanding and operating with different spatial configurations specific to a certain function;
• understanding and operating with vertically connected spaces, with the vertical and diagonal spatial relationships established between them.
• practicing critical thinking and autonomy in decision making;
• practicing creative thinking;
• self-assessment capacity.
- Emerging Space / House for a guard. Context, emergence, living
The exercise returns to the problem of the model, of the reference building, which must be analyzed and understood and which, this time, is a ruin, incomplete, released from function, exalting the matter from which it is made. This ruined building represents the context, intuitively explored, for a small intervention - the home of a guard, with two fundamental elements (window and staircase). The emphasis is on determining space through function, understanding the relationships established between use, spatial configuration, atmosphere, place. The housing problem, which is to be deepened during the next years of study, is opened in this last project of the first year.
- Teaching Method:
- Individual critique, collective critique, multimedia presentations, study sheets, project sketches.
- Projects: on the basis of individual presentations of the projects (judging sessions and grading in the worksop / department).
- Christopher ALEXANDER, The Timeless Way of Building, Oxford Universtiy Press, 1979
Gaston BACHELARD, The Poetics of Space, Beacon Press, 1994 /// Poetica spațiului, Editura Paralela 45, 2003
Juhani PALLASMAA, The Eyes of the Skin. Architecture and the Senses, John Wiley & Sons, 2005 /// Privirea care atinge. Arhitectura și simțurile, Editura Arhitext, 2015
Peter ZUMTHOR, Atmospheres, Birkhauser, 2006 /// Atmosfere, Editura Arhitext, 2019