- Knowledge of the contemporary theory of rehabilitation in relation with the sustainable development principles and the training of the capability to address the existing buildings as ”reusable resources”.
- Knowledge of the Romanian built heritage and of its current problems to be solved by rehabilitation, as well as of the international experience in the field of rehabilitation.
- Ability to correctly evaluate the use potential and cultural significance of the minor historical architecture. Knowledge of the technological characteristics of the pre-modern architectural heritage.
- Necessary knowledge and skills to design rehabilitation interventions able to meet contemporary use requirements without compromising the intrinsic quality of the historical buildings.
- Ability to identify the adequate use for an existing building.
- Understanding of the buildings decay phenomena and of the materials decay mechanisms.
- Necessary knowledge and skills to formulate a correct diagnostic as scientific support for an effective treatment.
- Knowledge of the current treatment technologies for different kind of pathologies and the ability to chose the adequate treatment.
Sustainable development and the rehabilitation of the built stock.
Terminology. Elements of theory of rehabilitation.
Cultural value and use value of the built stock.
Rehabilitation and sustainable use of energy. Case studies.
Rehabilitation by conversion. Case studies.
Housing rehabilitation. Case studies.
The traditional urban housing in the Romanian extra-Carpathian territory.
The post-war mass housing in large scale developments.
Degradation and diagnosis of buildings.
Physical decay: factors; processes; symptoms.
Diagnosis methods and techniques.
Pathological dampness of old masonry.
Identification of the source by direct observation and instrumental techniques.
Treatment of the raising damp: mechanical barriers, chemical and physical barriers, drainage systems.
Drying techniques: electro-osmosis, atmospheric drainage siphons; characteristics and limits of effective use.
Discontinuous dampness: seasonal and occasional symptoms of dampness; treatment principles.
Diagnosis and treatment of dampness – case studies.
Lectures with digital image support. Debates.
Multiple choice test.
Crișan, R., Uses and Abuses of Reconstruction. In Holtorf, C., Kealy, L., Kono, T., (eds), ‘A contemporary provocation: reconstructions as tools of future-making. Selected papers from the ICOMOS University Forum Workshop on Authenticity and Reconstruction, Paris, 13 – 15 March 2017’. [on line]. ICOMOS, Paris, 2018. Disponibil la http://openarchive.icomos.org/1851/.
Crișan, R., The Dilemma of the Redundant Churches: to Lose or to Reuse? In Fiorani, D., Kealy, L., Musso, S. F. (eds.), ‘Conservation/Adaptation: Keeping alive the spirit of the place. Adaptive reuse of heritage with symbolic value‘, EAAE, Hasselt, Belgium, 2017. Disponibil la http://www.eaae.be/publications/transactions/
Crișan, R., Some reflections on abandoned small historic centres. In Crisan, R., Fiorani, D., Kealy, L., Musso, S. F. (eds.), 'Conservation/Reconstruction. Small Historic Centers: Conservation in the midst of Change', Transactions on architectural education no. 64, EAAE, Hasselt, Belgium, 2015. Disponibil la http://www.eaae.be/publications/transactions/
Crișan, R., Conservation/Regeneration: the Modernist neighbourhood. In Crișan, R., Franco, G., Kealy, L., Musso, S. F. (eds.), 'Conservation/Regeneration: The Modernist Neighbourhood', Transactions on architectural education no. 58, EAAE 2012. Disponibil la http://www.eaae.be/publications/transactions/
Crișan, R., Reabilitarea locuirii urbane tradiționale. Ed. Paideia, 2004.
Crișan, R., Analiza integrativă a valorii culturale și de utilizare a clădirilor existente. Editura Universitară “Ion Mincu”, 2004.
Crișan, R., Macri, Z., Panait A. (eds), Visions on Mass-Housing Sustainable Rehabilitation, Editura Universitară Ion Mincu, 2011.
Crișan, R. și colectiv, Reabilitarea blocurilor de locuinte cu supraetajare in sistem constructiv metalic, Editura Universitară Ion Mincu, 2008.
Crișan, R., Umiditatea zidăriilor vechi. Criterii de intervenție. In Revista Monumentelor Istorice n. 1-2/1996.
The course is complemented by design exercises within the homonymous
elective project (ST-81) in the same semester, proposing two themes to choose from: "Rehabilitation of Post-war Apartment Blocks" and "Adaptive Reuse of Redundant Buildings".
In the academic year 2020-2021, all the activities will be held online.