- Course Leaders:
- lect.dr.ing. Vlad Petrescu
- conf.dr.ing. Adrian Iordăchescu
- Teaching language:
- Learning outcomes:
- Gain knowledge of assessing existing buildings or constructions and designing structural interventions in line with current global trends. Given that securing Romania's built-up capital is a particularly difficult issue not only because of its enormous size but also due to the degradation and physical wear and tear inherent in the effects of exploitation and age, lack of maintenance and the fact that a considerable part of the local territory is haunted by strong earthquakes, the course proposes the analysis of concrete situations, representative buildings that were mostly made in periods when seismic action was not considered in design, so they were built from the beginning by traditional methods and designed only for gravitational actions, they show visible or hidden damage caused by combined actions such as uneven landslides and / or successive earthquakes to which they have been subjected during their lifetime.
After passing the course, students will have the ability to understand the rigors of structural interventions on existing buildings - some of them classified as Historic Monument, will gain the ability to be part of complex design teams and interact with other specialists involved in designing consolidations, rehabilitations / modernizations.
The content of the course is finalized according to the requests of the students enrolled in the course (other topics than those mentioned can be addressed)
- Seismic assessment and evaluation, Assessment methodologies, Seismic hazard.
Performance requirements, Seismic risk classes, Need for intervention works;
Design of specific intervention works for different types of structural elements and different types of resistance structures (masonry, concrete, wood, metal structures).
Solutions to correct the deficit of strength, rigidity and / or ductility.
Consolidation of the Triumphal Arch LMI Code B-II-m-A-18001 by the base insulation method;
Consolidation of the Bucharest City Hall headquarters LMI Code B-II-m-A-18688 by the method of isolating the base;
Consolidation of the Fire Tower in Bucharest LMI Code B-II-m-B-18722 by the base insulation method;
Upstairs Gym of ASE Bucharest - increasing seismic performance by implementing seismic shock absorbers;
Consolidation of the Lipova Church historical monument position 310 CODE AR-II-M-A-00620 YEAR 1338.
The uplifting of the Old Church of the Râmet Monastery, Alba County and the consolidation of the Museum Building Code LMI AB-II-a-A-00386;
Consolidation of Perișoru Church, Perișoru Commune, Ialomița County.
Consolidation of the Church of Saint Hierarch Nicolae from Mironești village Gostinari commune Giurgiu county - Monument position 447, code GR-II-M-A-15039
Consolidation of Cesianu House - Dacia One Complex, from Bucharest - Class A historical monument building - code B-II-a-A-198382.
Consolidation of Hotel REX Mamaia, Constanța County.
- Teaching Method:
Course ex cathaedra. Presentation of Power Point courses.
- Attend the course (10%). (Minimum condition for taking the exam: attend at least 50% of the courses).
Paper on one of the topics covered in the course (40%)
Final evaluation based on a discussion with the student (50%)
- Articles from magazines and construction courses from the UAUIM library. Internet.
Articles from magazines published under the auspices of the Association of Structural Design Engineers in Romania.
ATC, 1997, Guidelines for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Buildings, prepared by Applied Technology Council, for Building Seismic Safety Council and Federal Emergency Management Agency (Report No. FEMA 273), Washington, D.C.
IORDACHESCU, A .: “Intelligent constructions”, Reg. Arcadia. 2001.
IORDACHESCU, E .: “Translatia constructiilor”, Ed. Tehnica, 1986.
FEMA 356 CAP.9 pct.9.3.8, Federal Emergency Managenent Agency prepared by Applied Technology Council
NAEIM, Farzad, The seismic desing handbook, Springer, 2001.
P100-1 / 2013; P100-3 / 2019 - Design code for seismic actions. Provisions for seismic assessment of existing buildings;
Kelly, J.M. (1997). “Earthquake - Resistant Design with Rubber”. Springer - Verlag.
Skinner, R.I .; Robinson, W.H .; McVerry, G.H. (1993). “An introduction to Seismic Isolation”. J. Wiley.