This course is intended to make students familiar with the administrative organization of the territory and the ways it determines territorial development policies. They also acquire notions of administrative policy, the evolution of territorial-administrative units and of the settlement network in Romania. The diversity and logic of territorial-administrative forms of organization in Europe, mainly in the EU countries, is discussed as well.
Content of lectures:
1. Theoretical models of political-administrative regionalization of the territory.
2. Regional standardization in the EU. The NUTS & LAU Classification.
3. Models of political-administrative regionalization in advanced democratic states.
4. Models of political-administrative regionalization in Central and Eastern Europe.
5. Post-communist administrative reforms. Directions and trends.
6. Romania’s territorial-administrative organization. Evolutions, dysfunctions and perspectives.
7. The national territory. Evolution, administrative organization, territorial-administrative units.
8. Inter-communal cooperation and Regional development in Romania.
9. Regionalization as a process and forms of manifestation in the EU countries.
10. Optimization of the territorial-administrative organization in Romania, between tradition and the present, between political necessity and territorial relations.
Practical themes and exercises:
Analyse and explain the logic of theoretical and real models of administrative systems.
lectures, interactive presentations, debates, individual and group exercises.
final examination based on a written paper and tests + practical work during the semester
1. Ianoș, I. (1987), Towns and the Organization of the geographical space. Studies of economic geography on Romania’s territory, Bucharest: Romanian Academy Press House.
2. Ianoș, I. (2000), Territorial Systems. A Geographical Approach, Bucharest: Technical Press House.
3. Ianoș, I. (2005), Urban Dynamics. Applications to the Romanian Urban System, Bucharest: Technical Press House.
4. Nistor, I.-S. (2000), The Commune and the County. Historical evolution, Cluj-Napoca: Dacia Press House.
5. Oroveanu, M.-T. (1986), Administrative Organization and Territorial Systematization in Romania, Bucharest: Scientific & Encyclopedic Press House.
6. Săgeată, R. (2006), Human Settlements. Political-Administrative Function and Organization of the Geographical Space. A Geographical Approach with Focus on Romania, Bucharest: Defense National University Press House “Carol I” & Top Form.
7. Săgeată, R. (2014), The Urban Systems in the Age of Globalization. Geographical Studies with Focus on Romania, Saarbrücken: Lambert Academic Publishing.
8. Law No. 2/1968 on the Administrative Organization of the Romanian Territory.