UT-6 The Town Throughout History
The Faculty of Urban Planning / Urban Design and Planning
- Urban Planning and Territorial Development
- Course Leader:
- conf.dr.arh. Monica Rădulescu
- Learning outcomes:
The course aims to introduce students to the planning and to produce the formation of attitudes towards the built heritage providing knowledge on the conditions that led to the formation and evolution of cities, to the adaptation of their physical, functional and aesthetically characteristics, and to the new technological requirements and to background the protective attitude towards architectural and urban values accumulated over time.
2. Categories. The elements of the built environment in the city.
3. Formation of cities. Elements from sub-urban period. Cities in antiquity (Mesopotamia, Egypt, Asia Minor).
4. Cities of ancient Greek civilization.
5. Cities of ancient Roman civilization.
6. Towns in the Middle Ages.
7. Renaissance cities.
8. Cities during centuries XVII - XVIII.
9. Cities during the nineteenth century.
10. Cities during the first half of the twentieth century.
11. Cities during the second half of the twentieth century.
12. Current issues and principles of development of cities in the European Union
13. Synthesis. Anticipation of XXI century city
- Teaching Method:
Lectures, slide presentations, tests at the end of courses , research papers based on themes and references given.
Written exam. Final grade = 50% exam grade + 50% semester papers
Mumford, Lewis, La Cité à travers l'histoire, Ed. Du Seuil, Paris, 1964
Harouel, Jean-Louis, Istoria urbanismului, Ed. Meridiane, București, 2001
Hall, Peter - Orașele de mâine - o istorie intelectuală a urbanismului în secolul XX, Editura ALL, București, 1999
Sitte, Camillo – Arta construirii orașelor. Urbanismul după principiile sale artistice” – Editura tehnică București 1991
Benevolo, Leonardo - Orașul în istoria Europei, Editura POLIROM, București, 2003
Cristea, Doina – Orașul în istorie, curs – CD, Biblioteca UAUIM, 2009