- Course Leader:
- conf.dr.ing Valentin Anton
- Learning outcomes:
- Presentation of basic concepts concerning the construction and modernization of urban road networks.
Presentation of basic principles concerning the design of geometric elements of road routes.
After successfully completing this subject, students will be able to:
• Explain the composition of road routes, the composition of road systems and vertical systematization of road routes.
• Describe the contents of a road infrastructure project
• Use appropriate field-specific calculation formulas.
• Analyse geometric elements of road routes, the composition of road systems and vertical systematisation of road routes.
• Calculate simple geometric elements of road routes
- The course aims at presenting and debating the following topics during classes:
- General information on the transportation modes: classifications, characteristics, costs.
- Road route design: horizontal layout, longitudinal profile, cross-sections.
- Spatial layout.
- Vertical systematization elements of road routes.
- Specific aspects for the composition of urban road infrastructures – streets.
- Road systems.
- Composition principles of junctions.
- Parking spaces and terminals.
- General concepts of urban traffic engineering.
- Motorways – design considerations.
- Teaching Method:
- The course consists of lectures and debates on the topics mentioned above. The working method in the classroom is realised with the help of multimedia tools, including online.
During seminars, students work individually or in small groups of 1-3 persons to elaborate an urban development proposal and its connection to the existing road network.
- Presentation of an individual contribution in the form of a documented summary on a topic chosen from the course contents = 50%.
Presentation and analysis of the practical assignment at the end of the semester = 50%.
- At the beginning of the semester, students receive online all the following bibliographic references.
1. Assoc. Prof. Eng. Valentin Anton – Drumuri I - Calculul traseelor rutiere – note curs 2018.
2. Iosif Craus – Studiul si Proiectarea Drumurilor – Tehnica Publishing.
3. Assoc. Prof. Eng. Valentin ANTON – Infrastructuri Rutiere Urbane – principii de alcatuire –Conspress 2014 Publishing.
4. Urban Street Design Guide – NACTO manuals - 2013
5. Elena Diaconu et al. - Căi de comunicații rutiere - principii de proiectare – Conspress Publishing.
6. Beautiful Roads - A Handbook of Road Architecture - Danish Road Directorate 2002.
7. Urban Bikeway Design Guide NACTO manuals – 2014.
8. Policy on Geometric Design of Highways and Streets – AASHTO 2016.