- Course Leader:
- conf.dr.ing Valentin Anton
- Learning outcomes:
- The course addresses the general principles of urban mobility professional training:
• Basic knowledge of urban road traffic management.
• Basic knowledge of junction design (traffic & geometrical layouts).
• Basic knowledge of urban roads design.
• Use of information technology for traffic engineering.
After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
• Explain the structuring principles of urban road networks.
• Describe the content of a traffic study.
• Use of appropriate calculation formulas.
• Analyze the results of a traffic study.
• Calculate various options for managing urban mobility.
- The course is intended to present and debate the following subject during classes:
• Generalities concering modes of transportation: classifications, characteristics
• Trips evaluation principles
• Traffic surveys/inquiries
• Traffic engineering notions
• Trips management at junctions
• Trips modelling
The seminar proposes that students prepare a traffic study for designing an urban development:
• evaluating the number of trips
• drawing up the trip management solutions for the urban development interior area
and for connecting that area with the existing road network outside its boundaries
- Teaching Method:
- The course consists of lectures and debate on the subjects mentioned above. The class is tought using multimedia & online tools.
During seminars students work individually or in small groups of 1-3 people to draw up proposals for urban development and its connection to the existing road network.
- Showing an individual contribution by documenting a synthesis on a chosen subject from the course contents – 50%.
Presentation & analysis of the practical application at the end of the semester – 50%.
- At the beginning of the semester, students receive in digital format the following references.
1. „Trafic si infrastructuri de circulatie” - note curs 2020 - Conf.dr.ing. Valentin Anton
2. „Inginerie de Trafic” - Dorobantu St & Racanel I. – I.C.B. ed.1980
3. „Highway Capacity Manual”2010 - Transportation Research Board, National Academies
4. „Tranportation Systems and Service Policy” – John Schoon – Chaptan & Hall – 1996.
5. „Intersection Capacity Utilization” - Trafficware Corporation – USA, 2003.
1. „Signalized Intersections: Informational Guide” – Report No. FHWA-HRT-04-091
2. „Signal Timing Process - Final Report” – FHWA no. Dtfh61-01-c-00183
3. „ Wikipedia.org” – The Free Enciclopedia