The Faculty of Interior Architecture / Interior Architecture
ST-40 | Building Structures
Department: Technical Sciences
- Course Leader:
- lect.dr.ing. Vlad Petrescu
- Learning outcomes:
- Acquiring basic notions concerning detailing, configurating and dimensioning criteria for structural members, subassemblies and assemblies made of wider use materials. Elementary notions concerning loads take over and correct configuration of usual construction systems. Detailing and calculus of joints. Applying notions of mechanics (statics and strength of materials) for configuration and design of structural members made of timber and steel.
- Loads in constructions and structural response. Defining dead and live loads / dynamic loads. Snow, wind, earthquake action. Temperature variation and ground settlements. Materials for structures (timber, steel, concrete, masonry). Methods and calculation hypothesis. Marks and classes of materials.
Fundamental structural members and subassemblies: linear bar elements, planar slab, solid wall. Effect of external forces. Types of structures, preliminary design.
Trusses - detailing and calculation methods (joints isolation and sections method). Applications.
Detailing and calculation of timber and steel roof structures.
Shape resistant structures. Arch and suspended structures. Classical types of arches. Thrust conveying problems.
Detailing and calculation of planar slab structural members.
Detailing and calculation of floor slabs in buildings in seismic zones (timber, reinforced concrete, composite slabs). Specific of stairs detailing and calculation.
Options on structural system. Factors for selecting subassembly and material. One story large span buildings (hall type). Types, materials, shape in plan and elevation, design issues.
Detailing and calculation for steel structures.
Beam as structural member. Cross sections configuration. Preliminary calculation for members under bending with shear made of different materials (predimensioning, maximum spans, deflection limits). Failure mechanisms.
Structural column under centric and eccentric compression. Cross sections configuration.
Structural types for multystoried buildings.
Specific of detailing and calculation for timber structures.
Joints for timber and steel, used in refurbishing design of interiors and methods of dimensioning.
- Teaching Method:
- Electronic support images, overhead transparencies, supplimentary documenting to be received by students at courses and seminars
- Written examination with theoretical and applicative content at the end of semester. The final mark represent an average between the examination mark (50%) and the average of the verification test of the 7-th week (30%) and of partial verifications (20%). The minimum accepted mark to pass is 5 (five). Attendance to the course is compulsory for being admitted to enter the final written examination.
- Romanian Seismic Design Code P100-1/2006 / Part I: Design provisions for buildings
Petrovici, R., Teoria structurilor – note de curs, IAIM, 1995
Georgescu, Mihaela, Relația structural – nestructural în proiectarea de arhitectură, Editura Universitară “Ion Mincu”, București, 2005, ISBN 973-7999-46-0
Manole, M., Construcții. Alcătuiri constructive ale principalelor subansabmluri, Editura MATRIX ROM, București, 2001.
Vlad, I., Macavei, F., Calculul sistemelor structurale la acțiuni statice, vol. I, Editura Tehnică, București, 2002.
Calculul sistemelor structurale la acțiuni statice, vol. I, Editura Tehnică, București, 2002
Guideline on seismic evaluation and upgrading of non structural building components, Public Works and Government Services, Canada, Ottawa, 1995.