UAUIM
Home | The University | Faculties | Departments | Alumni | Doctoral studies | Research | Contact
Dealu Frumos - Shonberg

DEALU FRUMOS-SCHONBERG

Info

2010 - now
The Schonberg Vernacular Architecture Studies Centre Annual publication. Past editions and current Call for papers can be found at www.csav.ro





Study Centre for Vernacular Architecture - Dealu Frumos - Schonberg

Director: prof.dr.arch. Sergiu NISTOR

Contact

"Ion Mincu" University of Architecture and Urbanism,
18-20 Academiei st., 70109, Bucharest, ROMANIA
Phone.:+40.21 315.54.82, Fax: +40.21 312.39.54
Director: prof.dr.arch. Sergiu NISTOR
nsergiu@iaim.ro, sergiu.nistor@xnet.ro

Donations

"Ion Mincu" University of Architecture and Urbanism,
for Cetatea Dealu Frumos
Cont lei: 50074283996, Trezoreria Sect.1, 10 Londra st., Bucharest, ROMANIA

USD: 2511.31-2062.22
EURO: 2511.1-2062.9
Banca Comerciala Romana, Sucursala Lipscani, 18-20 Lipscani st., Bucharest, ROMANIA

History

1321: Oldest document witnessing the existence of Schönberg (Dealu Frumos): " de Pulcro monte".

THE EVANGELIC C.A. CHURCH

XIIIth Century: Erected initially as a 3 nave romanesque basilica, with undressed stone piers and arcades, without bellfry, having a square chancel and an semicircular altar apse, the present-day church rests on the same foundations. From the romanesque period the church still retains 2 pairs of arcades and piers under the bell tower and, under the roof, some circular windows - oculus, formerly opened into the main nave.

About 1500: The romanesque basilica is surrounded by a stronghold, the aisles walls and groin vaults are raised to the height of the nave (the gothic hall churche type) while the altar apse is demolished. The inner arcades ar raised in an gothic pointed arches and the nave vault gets flamboyant decorative clay ribbs. On the North side of the chancel a sacristy is erected. The bell tower almost 23.00 m. heigh is erected at the West end of the nave as a defense tower, with walls approx. 2,00 m. thick and having loop-holes. Another defense tower is built over the chancel having 1 storey less then the bell tower. Both towers end with a defense gallery having a brick paneled wood frame (fachwerk) parapet and a piramidal 4 sides pitched roof.

THE FORTRESS

About 1500: The church courtyard is surrounded by a bailey of 4-5 m. height, having loop-holes and a observation inner gallery of wood. The initial stronghold was reinforced by 4 corner defense towers projecting outside the walls, provided with loop-holes and machicolis (cantilevered openings used to drop boiling oil on the attackers).

1520-1522: The Southern defense wall is demolished to widen the church courtyard. New defense walls are erected 10,00m to the South whereas on its SE corner, an pentagonal defense tower is added to the fortress. Close to the NE tower, still in use, an one storey height entrance tower is erected, with an iron clad oak lumber door.

1647: The Northern defense wall is moved approx. 5,00 m to the North, and a new oblong 2 storey height defense building is erected. The building (Neue Gebäude) was provided with a chimney. A new defense tower of the same type as the 4 corner ones was added midway on the North side.

1914: The Southern part of the fortress is partly replaced by a Community Hall which fills the SE pentagonal tower.

2003: The University of Architecture and Urbanism "Ion Mincu', Bucharest, Romania is granted a lease for the fortress to rehabilitate it as a Study Centre in Vernacular Architecture.

Illustration by Laura Cristea and Cristina Popescu
Ten good reasons to study Architecture at UAUIM
The English taught Arhitecture Programme:
https://architecture.uauim.ro/