The Faculty of Interior Architecture / Product Design
ST-39 | Meta Aesthetics and Technology
Department: Technical Sciences
- Course Leader:
- lect.dr.arh. Ana Maria Mortu
- Learning outcomes:
- The course informs the students on the metalic materials in general and on the ones used in architecture and construction in particular concerning the production methods, physical and chemical properties of metals and metal products but essentially addressing the estetical qualities of the metals within the architectural product.
These informations are dubled by practical experiences, considered as indispensable in the cultivation of the students concerning constructive intuition, a correct interpretation of the architectural form but also in order to stimulate their creativity.
- 1. Metals. Classification. General aspects on the production and use of metals during the history. matter and material;
2. Ferrous metals: wrought iron, cast iron and steel: ore, material and technology. Aplications;
3. Alloyed steels: stainlessteel alloys. Properties, machining and use;
4. Aluminium: production, intermediate products, industrial processing and construction products;
5. Copper and brass: production through industrial processing, intermediate products, sources, machining. Applications;
6. Stanium, Tin, and Lead: production through industrial processing, intermediate products, sources, machining. Applications;
7. Titanium and other rare metals. Specific uses in architecture.
- Teaching Method:
- Audio-video interactive presentation, visits at profiled objectives, presentation of products by the producers themselves.
- Theoretical examination and practical exercise: study of an object through a project of a proposed metal object and study on a modell. Final mark: min 50% examination and max 50% practical work.
- Palladio, A., - Four books of architecture, Romanian version, ingr. prof.arh. R. Bordenache, Ed. Tehnica, Bucuresti 1957 cap IV, About metals, pp 13-14;
Hatarascu, O., - Metals in the actual epoque, Ed. Albatros, Bucuresti, 1982;
Cowan, Henry J., Smith Peter R.- The science and Technology of Building materials, Van Nostrad Reinhold, New York, 1988;
Steopoe, Al.- Construction materials, Ed. Tehnica Bucuresti, 1964. chpt. "Metals".
- The couse is dominantly a practical approach and runs with the engagement and help of some firms and specialised individuals active in the field.