The Faculty of Interior Architecture / Product Design
SFA-58 | Computer Graphic Design
Department: Study of Form and Ambience
- Course Leader:
- conf.drd.arh. Mihaela Șchiopu
- Learning outcomes:
- The course firstly proposes that the students should be able to fulfil the usual end-of-semester request of having conceived and realised a personal work portfolio.
The course also aims to develop the already assimilated graphic knowledge, as well as to expand it with additional material on general advertising graphic and book graphic, and also to enrich the students’ creativity, imagination and initiative. By the end of this course, students would have taken the first steps regarding:
1. conceiving and creating any type of graphic material (leaflets, posters, banners, etc)
2. conceiving and creating graphic materials specific to any publishing house or press trust (book covers, catalogues, compendiums, magazines, etc)
3. becoming familiar with graphic programs such as Quarq X Press, Photoshop, Illustrator, Freehand.
4. Eventually, this course aims at setting up a final exhibition through which students’ results can be shown and observed.
1. The logo and its story. Designing a logo for a personal imaginative company of architecture / product design / photography / fashion, etc.
2. The business card. Designing a business card. This will be representative of what each student thinks he/she can represent as an option for his/her future career. The logo of theme 1 will be used. 3 additional business cards will be created for 3 people with other occupations besides the designer.
3. Header sheet and custom envelope. Notes on the Importance of the Identity Manual. Conceiving a letterhead and a custom envelope. The logo of theme 1 will be used.
4. The poster and its history. Conceiving a poster for a music / photo exhibition, theater show. Designing an entrance ticket and a cd cover.
5. Albums and books of art and architecture. Covers. Conceiving and realizing the cover of an album of architecture / design / photography, etc., dedicated to a favorite author. Conceiving a design course cover.
6. A designer's portfolio. Cover as a first step. Conceiving and realizing the cover of a personal portfolio.
7. A designer's portfolio. The interior. Conceiving and realizing the interior of a personal portfolio.
- Teaching Method:
- Lectures accompanied by multimedia presentations.
- The arithmetic average in the scores for the 7 themes will be 80% of the final score. The presence will be marked with 20% of 10 points (maximum mark)
- - Weinschenk Susan M. , - 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People, New Riders Publishing , 2011
- Weinschenk Susan M. , - 100 More Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People, New Riders Publishing , 2015
- Drew, Ned and Sternberger, Paul, - Modern American Book Cover Design, Princeton Architectural Press New York, 2005
- Ken, Pender - Digital colour in graphic design, Butterworth-Heinemann Linacre House, Jordan Hill, Oxford, 1998
- David Airey - Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities, New Riders Publishing, Berkeley, US, 2014
- Wiedemann, Julius - Logo Design, Taschen, Köln, 2015
David Airey - Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities, New Riders Publishing, Berkeley, US, 2014
Wiedemann, Julius - Logo Design, Taschen, Köln, 2015
Bierut, Michael - How to Use Graphic Design to Sell Things, Explain Things, Make Things Look Better, Make People Laugh, Make People Cry, and (Every Once in a While) Change the World, Thames & Hudson Ltd, London, 2015
Cooper, Josh - Logo Design - How to Create Logo That Stands Out, Kindle edition, 2016
Evamy, Michael - Logo: The Reference Guide to Symbols and Logotypes (Mini), Laurence King Publishing, London, 2015
Kleon, Austin - Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative, Workman Publishing Company, NY, 2012
Capsule and Keller, Maura - Design Matters: An Essential Primer-Brochures, Logos, Packaging, Portfolios, Rockport Publishers, Beverly, US,2011
Drew , Michael R. - Brand Strategy 101: Your Logo Is Irrelevant - The 3-Step Process to Build a Kick-Ass Brand (The 7 Steps to a Successful Business in a Changing Market), Beneath the Cover Press, NY, 2013
The Best of Business Card Design 6 (No. 6) Blackcoffee Design Inc., Boston, US, 2006
Letterheads & Business Cards 2, Zeixs (Design Cube Series), Zeixs, Köln , 2010
Tsurikisawa, Minako and Radeker, Jochen - Corporate Brochure Designs, 2011
Adams, Sean - Masters of Design: Corporate Brochures, Rockport Publishers, Beverly, US, 2009
Eldridge, Kiki - The Best of Brochure Design, Rockport Publishers, Beverly, US, 11, 2010
The Big Book of Brochures, Funf Freunde, 2009
Krause, Jim - Layout Index: Brochure, Web Design, Poster, Flyer, Advertising, Page Layout, Newsletter, Stationery Index, 2001
Graphic Design That Works: Secrets for Successful Logo, Magazine, Brochure, Promotion, and Identity Design, Rockport Publishers, Beverly, US , 2006