- Course Leader:
- asist. Claudiu Tudoran
- Learning outcomes:
- The course firstly proposes that the students should be able to fulfil the usual end-of-semester request of having conceived and realised a personal work portfolio.
The course also aims to develop the already assimilated graphic knowledge, as well as to expand it with additional material on general advertising graphic and book graphic, and also to enrich the students’ creativity, imagination and initiative. By the end of this course, students would have taken the first steps regarding:
1. conceiving and creating any type of graphic material (leaflets, posters, banners, etc)
2. conceiving and creating graphic materials specific to any publishing house or press trust (book covers, catalogues, compendiums, magazines, etc)
3. becoming familiar with graphic programs such as Adobe Photoshop.
1. Covers. Conceiving and realizing the cover of an album of architecture / design / photography, etc., dedicated to a favorite author. Designing a cover with an imaginary subject.
2. The poster and its history. Conceiving a poster for a music / photo exhibition, theater show. Designing an entrance ticket /a cd cover/ a brochure (a flyer for an exhibition)
3.The logo and its story. Designing a logo for a personal imaginative company of architecture / product design / photography / fashion, etc.
The link between the logo and the business card.
4. The business card. Designing a business card. This will be representative of what each student thinks he/she can represent as an option for his/her future career. The logo of theme 1 will be used. 3 additional business cards will be created for 3 people with other occupations besides the designer.
5. Header sheet and custom envelope. Notes on the Importance of the Identity Manual. Conceiving a letterhead and a custom envelope. The logo of theme 1 will be used.
6. A designer's portfolio. Cover as a first step. Conceiving and realizing the cover of a personal portfolio.
- Teaching Method:
- Lectures accompanied by multimedia presentations.
- The arithmetic average in the scores for the 6 themes will be 80% of the final score. The presence will be marked with 20% of 10 points (maximum mark).
- Airey, David, Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities, New Riders, 2016
Airey, David, Identity Designed. The Definitive Guide to Visual Branding, Rockport Publishers, 2019
Aynsley, Jeremy, Pioneers of Modern Graphic Design. A complete History, Octopus Publishing Group Ldt., 2004
Chua, Perry, The Best of Brochure Design, Rockport Publishers, 2008
Gomez-Palacio, Bryony; Vit, Armin, Graphic Design Referenced, Rockport Publishers, 2009
Lupton, Ellen; Phillips, Jennifer Cole, Graphic Design. The New Basics, Princeton Architectural Press, 2008
Poynor, Rick, No more rules. Graphic design and postmodernism, Yale University Press, 2003
Samara, Timothy, Design Elements. A graphic style manual. Understanding the rules and knowing when to break them, Rockport Publishers, 2014
The Best of Business Card Design 6 (No. 6), Blackcoffee Design Inc., Rockport Publishers, 2006
The Best of Cover Design, Altitude Associates, Rockport Publishers, 2011