Data on study programme
The doctoral study programme in Architecture takes 3 years (6 semesters), and is comprised of a total of 180 ECTS-credits.
The study programme includes 60 ECTS – credits in organized study form, and 120 ECTS-credits of individual research. Organized forms consist of a general architectural module and optional modules interdisciplinary, and one per semester of research presentation (at the end of the first year and in the third and fourth semester). Presentation of the study plan must be prior than study plan of research.
The scientific title acquired by the doctoral student in the field of is:
Doctor in Architecture
The abbreviated form of the title placed in front of the name is: Dr.
Basic goals of the programme and general competences
Doctoral studies are organized in the form of frequency education. In UAUIM only scientific doctorate can be organized.
Architecture Doctoral School (SDA) within UAUIM - IOSUD focuses on research and knowledge of the design process, decision making and cultural and behavioral context, of how buildings are constructed, achieving performance through technology, research of the history and theory of architecture in regard to the various social formations, intellectual and practical traditions, and the way in which architecture and urbanism are developed as distinct areas of activity. Responsibility for architecture and urbanism will be demonstrated through scientific research in relation to the buildings quality and their surrounding environment as well as the quality of natural and urban landscape. Training activities aim cultural knowledge and operational scenarios that match the theme of research of each student, as well as the state of knowledge in the field and in the current research nationally and internationally.
- the depth understanding of theoretical and methodological concepts which are derived from architectural essence as art and science, and others directly or indirectly related to architecture;
- qualification through the independent development of new knowledge in the field of architecture in general or in specific subjects which are of importance in architecture and in connection with other fields of research;
- qualification to solve the most demanding problems by improving the established architectural concept, and discovering new solutions in achieving quality in architecture and urbanism;
- qualification to manage and solve work systems in the professional scope by wide application in spatial planning and design, emphasizing the quality of architectural space;
- qualification for transferring of the scientific achievements and new knowledge into architectural practice;
- qualification to convey and communicate research results in scientific and professional papers, and in other publications in the field of architecture and urbanism.
Enrolment conditions and selection criteria
Candidates which want to be enroll in the doctoral study programme in architecture, must fulfil the following criteria:
- according to Article 153 para. (2) Law. 1/2011, entitled to participate in the competition for admission to doctoral studies only graduates with master's degree or its equivalent in the country and abroad
- admission to the doctoral cycle is carried out in an annual meeting that usually takes place in September; student registration will begin on the first day of the Academic Year;
- doctoral supervisor has the right to select the candidate for each vacancy under his guidance and propose doctoral student's registration;
- credits obtained in a research master's program or doctoral completion of previous steps and / or scientific research carried out in the country or abroad in prestigious universities and R & D units relevant to the thesis may be recognized as being equivalent to the training program based on advanced academic studies. Equivalence is proposed by the supervisor of the doctoral student and the student's request is approved by the doctoral school board.
Provisions for conducting doctorate
The duration of doctoral studies is usually 3 years from date of doctoral - students’ registration until thesis submission, and the public defending. In special situations doctoral studies duration may be extended by up to two years, at the doctoral student request, with the approval of the doctoral supervisor and the UAUIM Senate approval. Doctoral studies end with the public defending of the thesis;
Doctoral studies can be carried out in co-supervising, nationally or internationally. In these cases, the student will be working under the guidance of a co - doctoral supervisor from IOSUD - UAUIM and a doctoral supervisor from another country or concomitant with two doctoral supervisors from Romania, based on a written agreement between those institutions and IOSUD - UAUIM. In the case of doctorate in co-supervising must established the principal supervisor. The doctoral - student is fully represented by the IOSUD in which he is registered, the principal supervisor being from the same IOSUD;
Doctoral studies can be conducted in Romanian, in minority languages or in a foreign language, to the extent that one of these languages is known by the doctoral supervisor and according to the National Education Law no. 1/2011, with the modifications and completions. In the agreement between IOSUD - UAUIM, supervisor and student, the language in which the doctoral studies will be specified;
The content of the thesis is established by the student, with the approval of the supervisor of the PhD thesis;
The student is guided in his work by a committee consisting of three members, established by the doctoral supervisor in consultation with the student. The guidance committee is established within the first 30 days of the student registration and takes part in orienting the student work until the completion of the thesis;
The second year of doctoral training emphasizes the specialized training in doctoral research.
The Individual program of scientific research / artistic creation (second year of doctoral traineeship) has as main objective the development of the thesis;
The third year of doctoral traineeship is dedicated to drawing the research conclusions and drafting the thesis;
Throughout the research program the student is encouraged to publish articles in UAUIM scientific periodicals or in other specialized periodicals, recognized by their professional environment from Romania and / or abroad;
The students are encouraged to participate in national and international conferences and seminars, with their contributions from doctoral research and publication of results performed. These activities aim to contribute at shaping researchers who know to use methodological and operational tools in order to enable them to assert their own performance in the research sector.
The doctoral study contract
The contract of doctoral studies in IOSUD - UAUIM contains, in addition to the rights and obligations, at least the following:
- data identification of the student and doctoral supervisor;
- data about IOSUD – UAUIM and the doctoral school;
- the selected research theme;
- monthly quantum of the scholarship, if applicable;
- the study fee, if applicable;
- the date of finalization of the thesis;
- the extension and discontinuation deadline for completion of the thesis;
- the amount of activities undertook by the doctoral student as research assistant or teaching assistant and the time.
For foreign candidates
- completed application by the candidate to be delivered Letter of acceptance for studies;
- copy and authorized translation of study documents;
- copy and authorized translation of birth certificate;
- passport copy;
- medical certificate.
All original documents mentioned above will be taught after passing the entrance examination, for registration in the new academic year.
Conditions for promotion according to programme
The student must demonstrate that he/she masters the subject and structure of the thesis research: characterization of the state of knowledge in the chosen research area; identification of existing literature and annotated bibliography; Setting up the phases, methods, and research methods in relation to analogous experiences in the world; systematize the information.
The curricula of the 1-st year of doctoral studies includes mandatory as well as optional courses.
The student can graduate the first-year if the final evaluation of the essay carried out by the guidance committee, the obtained credits – including the credits from other activities - can accumulate the total 60 ECTS, corresponding to the two semesters of 30 credits each.
Graduating a year of doctoral studies requires the accumulation of 60 ECTS (30 credits / semester) in accordance with the individual study plan of the Student.
Credits recording is based on the demand of doctoral student, accompanied by supporting documents and the favorable recommendation of the supervisor.
Condition for completion of studies
The student shall:
- to be completed the architectural and interdisciplinary modules;
- to performing a written and oral presentation of the topic of doctoral dissertation including the publication of a research article in an important magazine or a scientific chapter in a monograph.
The final assessment for the award of doctorate is done after accumulating the required number of credits (150), solely based on the thesis and its public support. 30 ECTS is awarded after the final writing of the thesis and its public presentation.
Doctoral thesis is an original work, being mandatory quality standards and professional ethics by mentioning the source for any material taken over.
The student is the author of the doctoral thesis and is responsible for the correctness of data and information presented as well as for his opinions and the demonstrations within the doctoral thesis.
The quality of the published studies or articles will be estimated by integrating them into the stream of national publications (magazines and publishing houses agreed CNCS) and international (journals and publishers are in international databases), citations, awards, etc.
The doctoral thesis should to be accompanied by documents attesting the dissemination of the result of scientific and artistic research. The minimum number of published studies should be:
- at least one study or article published in journals indexed in international databases or accredited CNCS or
- at least one study published in collective volumes and volumes of specialized conferences published in prestigious international publishers or publishers CNCS classified in categories "A", "B +" and / or "B".
Doctoral school rules established criteria, procedures and mandatory standards regarding the minimum number of activities undertaken during the internship for doctoral scientific research.
Other components of the activities undertaken during the research stage are:
- student participation in one or more scientific projects established by the doctoral;
- doctoral work in scientific and artistic community by organizing and / or participating in specific events (workshops, summer schools, etc.).
The quality of the fulfilled obligation shall be evaluated descriptively, in accordance with the IOSUD - UAUIM and doctoral school Regulation.