The Faculty of Interior Architecture / Product Design
SFA-25 | Digital manufacturing
Department: Study of Form and Ambience
- Course Leader:
- conf.dr.arh. Andreea Iosif
- Teaching Staff:
- Avram Oana
- Learning outcomes:
- The course gives the students the capacity to computer design their projects in a software environment suitable for digital prototyping. The presented techniques are exemplified through hands-on work that addresses profession-specific issues.
The student will learn how to use a CNC milling machine, how to prepare their models of the milling process and finally they will execute their models.
The course will start with an exposure to the general notions regarding machine fabrication (the first part of the course)and continues through to the physical building of a functional mechanical model designed by each student.
- 1. Choosing a design theme with the teachers. Only models with moving and fixed parts will be accepted (toys, small furniture, classic mechanism) Students must finish their digital model by week 6 when all of the models will be presented, validated for production and minor adjustments made;
2. Work safety presentation. Presentation of equipment. Physical constraints. Specific usage case: single faced cutting, double face cutting, multifaced cutting, 2D cutting, long part cutting and engraving;
3. Fabrication strategy within the building constraints. Final stage model preparation;
4. Model loading and CNC settings specific to each model and strategy.
5. Equipment independent alternative: Cutting path generation using G-code (Fusion);
6. Final validation by the teacher and final adjustments;
7. Model work on a commonly agreed upon schedule.
- Teaching Method:
- Computer work with guidance and theoretical exposure; individual work using the CNC machines in the Digital Fabrication Lab.
OBS: The necessary consumables (tape,wood plugsand fixing PFL), and different design materials (wood, MDF, polystyrene, foams) will be acquired by the participating students, the CNC machines being provided by the University.
- Final evaluation of the project during the course (50%) and of the resulting model (50%).
Final delivery of the model is conditioned by at least 2 sessions of teacher guidance.
- Website: https://stufonote.wixsite.com/cgimincu/fabricatie-digitala
Suport echipament: https://www.rolanddga.com/support/products/milling/modela-pro-ii-mdx-540-3d-milling-machine