The Faculty of Interior Architecture / Product Design
ST-36 | Building Statics and Materials' Strength
Department: Technical Sciences
- Course Leader:
- conf.dr.ing Mihaela Georgescu
- Learning outcomes:
- Adequate knowledge of mechanics, statics and structures for buildings. Calculation of reactions and cross section loads for statically determined structures. Calculation of structural systems made of bars, under simple loadings.
- Fundamental notions. Definitions: structure, members / structural subassemblies, non-structural members, structural performance criteria (stability, strength, ductility, stiffness), loads, structural response.
Notions of construction statics. The equilibrium of rigid body. The axioms of statics. Systems of forces: random, concurent, parallel. Couples of forces.
Composition and decomposition of concurrent forces systems using geometrical and analytical methods. Applications concerning calculation of the moment of a force vs. a point / axis.
Applications - resolving force systems.
Equilibrium of body with supports. The axiom of reactions. Calculation of reactions for elementary and assembled structures, pin-pointed bars.
Calculation of reactions for body with supports. Applications.
Calculation of reactions for elementary structures (simply supported beams, cantilevers, triple hinged frames), continuous beams. Applications.
Deformability of bodies. The response of deformable materials (static and geometric parameters of response).
Physical background of the strength of materials: stress-strain curve of materials. Behaviour under loading, types of failures, breaking, yielding / plastification.
The concepts of simple deformation, cross-section stress, simple loading.
Partial evaluation test.
Calculation of sectional loads. Drawing diagrams of sectional loads for elementary statically determined structures, for continous beams.
Strength and stiffness of bar elements. Geometry of sections. Criteria for pre-dimensioning: allowable stresses, allowable deflections.
Members under centric tension and compression.
Design of bar elements under tension / compression. Applications on timber and steel bars.
Calculation of structural members at temperature variation.
Members under pure bending and bending with shear.
Criteria of design. Rational cross-sections.
- Teaching Method:
- Weekly courses including theoretical courses with applications and calculations examples.
- Written examination with theoretical and applicative content at the end of semester. The final mark represent an average between the examination mark (50%) and the average of the verification test of the 9-th week (30%) and of partial verifications (20%). The minimum accepted mark to pass is 5 (five). Attendance to the course is compulsory for being admitted to enter the final written examination.
- Ionescu, D., Mecanica structurilor I,II, III, Editura Institutului de arhitectură “Ion Mincu”, București, 1980
Ionescu, D., Mecanica structurilor Aplicații. Editura Institutului de arhitectură “Ion Mincu”, București, 1980
Vlad, I., Macavei, F., Calculul sistemelor structurale la acțiuni statice, vol. I, Editura Tehnică, București, 2002.