The Faculty of Interior Architecture / Product Design
SFA-65 | Artistic Lighting
Compulsory Course | Hours/Week: 2C+1L | ECTS Credits: 3
Department: Study of Form and Ambience
- Course Leader:
- dr.arh. Raluca Buzdugan
- Learning outcomes:
- At the end of this course the student should have a good understanding of the way light can be used in the design of a lighting scheme. The student should also be able to establish a personal method of design of a lighting system / artistic installation and the design of a lighting fixture.
1. Light / Perception and general impact of lighting on humans.
2. Visual and non-visual mechanisms of light perception Mecanismul de perceptie si receptie vizual si nevizual al luminii
3. Lighting Poetics: A History.
4. Lighting Poetics terms: The Story
5. Lighting Poetics terms: Function
6. Lighting Poetics terms: Space
7. Lighting Poetics terms: the Media: Light sources
8. Lighting Poetics terms: the Media: Control systems
9. Lighting Poetics terms: the Media: Materials
10. Lighting Poetics terms: the media: Direction and shape of luminous flux
11. Lighting Poetcis terms: the Media: Intensity and colour of light
12. Lighting Poetcis terms: the media: Manipulating
13. Lighting Poetics terms: Efficiency
14. The E Matrix
1. Lighting impact on circadian rhythms.
Manipulating perception. Optical illusions in art.
2. Analysis of the lighting scheme in a painting
Analysis of the lighting scheme used in a lighting installation
3. The poetics of Bauhaus and its impact over lighting fixtures design
The poetics of Art-Deco and its impact over lighting fixtures design
4. Analysis of the design method of a well known lighting designer
Analysis and definition for a personal design poetics
5. Lighting workshop. Objects.
Lighting workshop. Portrait
6. Lighting fixture design. A proposal.
Lighting installation design. A proposal.
7. A critical analysis of the lighting fixture design
A critical analysis of the lighting installation design.
- Teaching Method:
- The student will prepare for each seminar on of the two subjects presented. They will prepare a written paper – essay format and drawings were appropriate. They will also prepare a PowerPoint presentation that will be shared and discussed during the seminar.
- The student evaluation will be made by evaluation of final exam (50%) and evaluation of study papers (50%)
- 1. Perceptie Gregory, R. L.; - Eye and Brain: The Psychology of Seeing Oxford Univerity Press, Oxford, 1998
2. Lam, W. M. C. Perception and Lighting as formgivers for architecture Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1992
3. Reggiani A. Colours and light sources: the visual perception in art Atti del Convegno Internazionale LuxEuropa - The 8th lighting conference, pag. 324-335 - Amsterdam 11-14 may 1997
4. Wurtman R.J. The Effects of Light on the Human Body Scientific American - July, 1975
5. Proiectare /Recomandari / Sisteme iluminat Benya James, Nancy Clanton, Mike Neils, Douglas Mahone Advanced Lighting Guidelines: 2001 Edition
Jennifer Roberts - 2001
6. Bianchi Cornel Luminotehnica – aspecte fundamentale si aplicative Editura tehnica 1990
7. Bianchi Cornel, Mira N, Moroldo D, Georgescu A., Moroldo H. Sisteme de iluminat interior si exterior. Conceptie Calcul Solutii Editura Matrix Rom, Bucuresti 2001
8. Illuminating Engineering Society of North America The Iesna Handbook of lighting
9. Miclescu Sandu Lumina naturala si lumina artificiala in arhitectura Cursul de Fizica Constructiiloir An IV ( anii “60?) - IAIM
10. Michel Lou Light: the Shape of Space - Designing with Space and Light
IES - 1996
11. Steffy Gary R. Architectural Lighting Design IES - 1990
12. Istorie iluminat/ lumina Bill Williams
A history Of Light and Lighting 1990
13. IEE – Institute of Electrical Engineers - United Kingdom A history of the Arc Lamp
www.cie.co.at / Commission Internationale de l'Eclairage
www.cibse.org / CIBSE (The Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers) is an international body which represents and provides services to the building services profession, such as lighting, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, public health systems and lifts.
www.eldaplus.org / European Lighting Designers Association
www.iald.org / International Association of Lighting Designers
www.iesna.org / Illuminating Engineering Society of North America
www.lrc.rpi.edu / Part of Rensselaer Polytechninc Institute NY / the largest university based lighting design and research center
http://lightcampus.iguzzini.com / modul educational luminotehnica oferit de Iguzzini
www.lightingacademy.com / La Sfacciata Lighting Academy / Targetti Sankey
www.via-internet.com / professional lighting database